The Chinese Proverb saying
“May You Live In Interesting Times”
Here’s proof, enjoy!
10) KROGER vs PACA – Big business said we’ll pay you in 90 days. Produce business said PACA.
9) CANNABIS/HEMP– Through the Farm Bill eliminating prohibition for hemp, Israel approving
exports of medical marijuana and organic grower conventions including
cannabis, all the signs are there. Opportunities for growers abound?
8) FDA/CDC- The laziest move of protection ever. In our industry when we do it wrong, we pay.
What happens when the government gets it wrong? We pay. Then they talk to
us about accountability? What about the Romaine in Florida, Texas, New York?
7) BIOTIC – Still the best way to maintain crops. Take care of the soil and the soil will take
care of the plants. We are now starting to hear this from our customers so the
idea is growing. We remain dedicated to this process and are proud to offer
products that are its result.
6) PRE- The latest trend. From whole food to prepped food to chewed food to pre-food, the
obvious next step. For those who do not want to worry about tainted water or fruits
and veggies with bad bacteria but still believe in Biotic farming, pre says who needs
the plants? Be it loam, sand, clay or rock, produce just holds the nutrients we need so
lets really get down with the earth. Tell us the produce you want and we will send you
the appropriate soil. Just add water, or not.
5) PRODUCE BUTCHER – The latest retail concept for people who don’t want to prep food but
can’t buy pre-cut. These are retail employees who will slice and dice
your produce while you wait. You can watch the process to make sure
it is the right produce and prepped correctly or come back after you
are done shopping to pick it up.
4) LABOR – Still the largest factor in growing. Between wages, robotics and immigration, costs
are going up, workers remain scarce and lots of produce is left on the trees and in
the field. Hence the growth of PRE!
3) FARM BILL – Score for our industry. Lots of money for research, food safety and crop
development. Ends prohibition and adds economy to canna-business. No
longer a schedule one drug.
2) FINGERLING FIASCO – When is a fingerling not a fingerling? When the market is empty
and a long yellow “B” size almost looks like a fingerling. Buyer
beware, we certainly will be. Know your variety!
1)THE PERFECT STORM- It started with the romaine. Recall of anything having to do with
any romaine anywhere in the country set buyers and packers
scrambling for a substitute. This quickly made all greens double
and even triple in price while overnight availability disappeared.
Then, while the Caesar salads got sad, the fields got cold so the
growth got slow. Then came the rains so growers could not
harvest the limited product they had. All due to a lazy agency
or two. And who pays? You do!
From us and ours to you and yours wishing you a safe, happy and healthy New Year
Answer To Last Week’s Quiz:…HEDGEHOG MUSHROOMS…Congrats To All Winners
Produce Quiz On Vacation Will Return January 3, 2019
Call 908-789-4700 –Lisa or Richard– Fax 908-789-4702
Visit us at www.culinaryproduce.com
“like” us @ Culinary Specialty Produce on Facebook©
Culinary Specialty Produce, Inc., 2015