Asian-style Coleslaw with Finger lime Dressing
- 2.5 cups finely shredded red cabbage
- 2.5 cups finely shredded chinese cabbage
- 2 carrots, grated
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 small, fresh red chili, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons torn mint leaves
- ¼ cup torn basil leaves
- ½ cup beansprouts
- (1/2 cup) roasted salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 6 Fingerlimes pulp removed
- ¼ cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
- tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 small clove of garlic, chopped
For dressing combine all ingredients in a bowl
Whisk until sugar dissolves and season to taste.
Combine all ingredients, except peanuts, in a bowl
Pour dressing over and toss well.
Sprinkle with peanuts.
Serve coleslaw immediately
Finger Lime Tart
Short crust pastry, enough to line a 25 cm tart tin with a removable base
- 8 red or pink Fingerlimes – 6 for pulp, 2 for garnish (clear limes will turn pink or red when exposed to oxygen for 15 minutes)
- 1 cup of caster sugar
- 4 eggs (for the bright yellow color)
- 1 cup pure cream
- 1 cup lime juice
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
Grease and line the tin with pastry, the pastry wall needs only needs to be 2 ½ cm high
Prick the base a few times with a fork
Line with baking paper and fill with baking weights or rice the bake for 10 minutes
Remove weights and bake for a further 10 minutes or until golden.
Combine the sugar, eggs, cream and lime juice in a bowl
(do this gently as you want to reduce the amount of froth and bubbles in the mix)
Scoop off any froth and bubbles you can, then mix in the finger lime pulp.
Pour the wet mix into the tart casing and bake at 160 degrees for about 20-25 minutes or until the filling has set, let the tart cool then place in the refrigerator until set.
Garnish with Fingerlime Rings or decorate by sprinkling vesicles on the top.
Finger lime and chili dipping sauce:
- 2,5 ounces dark palm sugar coarsely grated
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 small yellow onion very finely chopped
- 1 small red chili, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- 12 Fingerlimes, use 6 only for the dipping sauce, cut the end off and squeeze the vesicles out or cut lengthwise and scoop
- juice of 6 Fingerlimes (mash the vesicles to a liquid pulp)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
Combine the palm sugar and the rice wine vinegar in a small pan and stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved.
Add garlic, chili, coriander, Fingerlime vesicles,
Whisk in the Fingerlime pulp and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Asian Salad dressing
- 250 ml water
- 4.5 ounces caster sugar
- Pulp of 8 colored* Fingerlimes (cut lengthwise and vesicles removed)
- ¼ red papaya shaved into ribbons (use a vegetable peeler)
Into a saucepan add the water and sugar, stir over a low heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer until the mixture starts to thicken slightly, about 5 minutes.
Remove from heat allow to cool slightly then gently add the finger lime pulp.
Leave the syrup mixture to cool completely (leave over night if possible as this will allow the color of the pink finger lime to infuse into the syrup)
- clear vesicles will turn pink or red color after exposure to oxygen for 15 minutes
- Ice Creams
- Chocolate Mousse
Oysters with soy and fingerlime dressing
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- (1/2 cup) seasoned rice (sushi) vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated ginger
- 2 small cucumbers, peeled, seeded, very finely diced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- ¼ tablespoon finely chopped mint
- 2 dozen oysters, freshly shucked
- 6 fingerlimes, halved lengthwise, juice vesicles removed
Combine tamari, vinegar and ginger in a small bowl.
In another bowl, combine cucumbers, mint and chives.
Place oysters on a platter.
Spoon over a little dressing.
Add with cucumber mixture.
Top with fingerlime vesicles.
- 2 Tablespoons nut oil ( Macadamia or Walnut)
- 2 tablespoons White Wine Vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon Ground black pepper
- “Caviar” of 3 Fingerlimes- Limes sliced lengthwise and pearls scooped out
- Pinch of sea salt
Put all ingredients in a small jar and shake madly
Optional: Add 4-6 drops of quality Balsamic Vinegar